Some people associate the arrival of the New Year with absolute dread when it comes to the topic of making resolutions. I prefer to think of this as a time to reflect on the prior year, dream about the coming year, and make goals and plans for how you want to make everything happen that you want to have happen. As such, today I want to share with you some highlights of goals for QuiltShopGal for 2017. But first, I want to reflect on the past:
My blogging voice of QuiltShopGal (previously SewCalGal) has primarily been focused on the world of quilting, with some sewing, embroidery and general crafting. Soon, I’ll reach a 10 year milestone of blogging with the goal of researching and sharing insights about new products, events, designers, authors, and businesses. It was my little way to say thank you to those “in the business”, for making our world of quilting so wonderful.
Over the years, I’ve met a lot of talented people, and enjoyed getting to learn from them, as well as getting to know many of them, of which many have become a good friend. I’ve always tried to take time to encourage creative people to make money with their skills and I’ve been proud to see some become not only pattern designers, but authors, teachers and even fabric designers, as well as some become award winning quilters.
Originally thought I’d blog for only one year. I just ended up having so much fun I kept doing it and time has flown by. But I’m on the cusp of pursuing other adventures, just not quite ready to reveal all right now.
When I reflect back, I realize that I’ve dropped the ball all too many times. I have research that I’ve yet to share insights on, primarily as a result of something else coming along that caught my attention. Needless to say, I am a Quilt Squirrel. I know I should stay focused on a particular task, but I all too easily get taken off target.
After reflecting, I’ve concluded that my goals for the new year will depend on my ability to focus in 2017. Understandably, FOCUS is my word for 2017.
Here are my goals for QuiltShopGal in 2017:
- Complete pending research projects and share, before proceeding with anything new.
- Continue to encourage creative individuals to make money with their skills (e.g. write patterns, magazine articles and/or books, teach, make and sell things, etc.).
- Continue to share insights about new products and newsworthy events.
- Continue to periodically host sponsored giveaways.
- Continue to promote awareness of creative blogs at My Creative Blog List. While I follow many blogs, using a variety of tools, this site has become my absolute favorite way to follow blogs.
- Continue to promote awareness of GREAT steals and deals (not just promote awareness of any sale) at Fingertip Shopping.
- Encourage kindness, as well as a supportive and positive community.
If all goes to plan and I can remain focused, I should be able to reveal more about my plans for 2017 sometime this Spring. But, I will share, it will take me down a different path. In the meantime, if you are looking for inspiration, here are a few items that have caught my attention for #CreativeGoodness.
- Simple Kelly Designs has a free downloadable printable bookmark that encourages kindness.
- Everyone needs a beautiful handmade Travel Bag. And the Ultimate Travel Bag class, by Annie Unrein, thru Craftsy, is on sale, as well as many other creative classes.
Anchor Quilt by Lisa Bongean is a beautiful quilt, but as it also has a lovely story behind this quilt design and name, I encourage you to read about it on Lisa’s blog, if you are not yet familiar with it.
Stardust by Wendy Sheppard of Ivory Spring is a beautiful design, with a free downloadable pattern from Benartex.
Cindy Needham will soon be releasing updates to her wonderful e:books. For those that may not be aware, once you purchase her e:book collections you will receive free updates annually. These are not just simple updates, as she goes makes new samples to share in these books, as well as provides more tips, tutorials, and inspiration, increasing the value of these books every year. And, I’ll confess I’ve seen a sneak peek into some of the changes and they are going to be great. I can highly recommend these e:books, as well as her Ultimate Stencil Collections.
I’m also linking up today with the @2017PlanningParty, hosted by Quilting Jetgirl.