Today, I’m happy to share insights on an excellent new book, that I believe can help you create endless possibilities of quilted items with #CreativeGoodness.
Landauer Publishing has recently released “Block Genius” and I think the name of this book truly captures what is inside.
Block Genius: 201 Pieced Quilt Blocks With No Math Charts, by Sue Voegtlin
A block library to inspire and instruct quilters of all levels.
About the Book:
In one volume, quilters will find over 200 classic blocks that they can use to one their sewing skills, in block exchanges, or to create wonderful block sampler quilts. In this impressive collection, the author organizes the blocks in groups of 2 x 2, 3 x 3, 4 x 4, and 6 x 6 grids with instructions and math provided for 6-, 9- and 12-inch blocks. This book is a block library that will be quilt shops and quilters’ go-to source for reference, inspiration and instruction.
With the exception of a few that were designed by the author, the block designs are all nearly 100 years old. Some designs are still sewn to this day. Others deserve new recognition and use by today’s quiltrs.
- A browser’s delight: the photography provides color and fabric-choice inspiration to quilters, and each block’s evocative name recalls quilting’s rich history.
- Clear instructions and expert advice: exploded diagrams of each block make construction a snap without special rulers. Tips on fabric selection, color choice, cutting, pressing, and sewing.
- No math: The author provides accurate dimensions for each cut so that quilters can easily size their blocks for 6- 9- or 12-inches.
- Includes instructions on constructing half-square and quarter-square triangles, flying geese, square-in-a-squares and parallel blocks.
- Contains No Match Charts for resizing blocks.
- Four classic to contemporary setting suggestions
About the author:
Sue Voegtlin has been Laundauer Publishing’s photographer since 2008 and has designed several quilts for our books. She is an avid outdoorswoman and loves outdoor photography. She is also a wonderful sewer, who began with garments, but graduated to the world of quilting when she came to Landauer, using our books to guide her.
About the publisher:
Landauer Publishing is an independently-owned, award-winning publisher managed by people passionate about books and about bringing high-quality inspirational and creative, techniques and how-to publications to life. We are all about excellence in content, photography, design, and service to all our customers and to our authors.
This is an amazing new quilting book, truly perfect for quilters of all levels. With 201 pieced block designs, each in three different sizes (6″, 9″ and 12″), it is an exceptional reference tool and one that can also help you easily create your own unique quilt designs.
The optional setting designs are all lovely, but I was particularly drawn to the Asymmetrical Setting, which I think enables creating stunning designs with a Modern Quilt style. Possibilities are endless.
You’ll also find great visuals and instructions for cutting and assembly, plus plenty of “Good to Know” tips and techniques. I hope you get a chance to check this book out at your favorite quilt shop.
Don’t forget that if you don’t see it, you may want to let them know about it. It is such a new book they may simply not be aware of it yet. Of course, you can also check it out online at Landauer Publishing, or Amazon.
You can find Landauer Publishing at: