Today we kick off the August Linky Party for the 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge. Quilters of all levels of experience are invited to join these monthly challenges. We do not judge anyone, but strive to encourage everyone to learn and improve their free-motion quilting (FMQ) skills. And “everyone” means this event is open to bloggers, non-bloggers, quilters that use any type of machine (domestic, mid-arm, or long-arm), as well as quilters from all over the world!
When you take time to practice and to learn from an expert, you will be surprised and delighted at what you can achieve.
This month we showcase Angela Walters, who is a Master Free-Motion Quilter both on the longarm and domestic machines. She is also an author, teacher, fabric designer and has quilted many award winning quilts.
If you are not familiar with this challenge, and definitely those that have not participated in any of the prior challenges, please read the main page for this event, as it has been updated to provide information previously shared within these monthly posts. You can always find the main page by clicking on the links underneath the blog header labeled EVENTS > FREE-MOTION QUILTING – 2015 FMQ CHALLENGE.
Aurifil, Clever Craft Tools/Grip & Stitch Disks, Fabrics N Quilts, Fat Quarter Shop, Martingale, The Stencil Company, Udderly Smooth, Landauer Publishing, CT Publishing, the Electric Quilt Company, The Quilt Show and Craftsy!
Prizes will be awarded for each monthly challenge and there are also prizes that will be awarded at the end of the year. Monthly winners will be randomly selected. And while end of year (aka Grand Prizes) will also be awarded randomly, I’m also looking at awarding based on a variety of soon to be announced methods (e.g. Person that completed the most challenges, the person that improved the most, etc).
MONTHLY FMQ EXPERT FOR AUGUST:
As mentioned, our expert this month is Angela Walter. Many lucky quilters have been able to take classes with her at major quilt shows, while many have enjoyed taking her classes on Craftsy, as well as enjoyed learning from her books. Those that follow her by way of Social Media (Blog, Facebook Instagram) are always inspired by her quilting, as well as enjoy the tips and tutorials she generously shares.
We also love her attitude about quilting, as well as her ability to encourage quilters to be happy with the results and not fret about perfection, especially while learning.
Here are a few of examples of Angela’s beautiful free-motion quilting:
Angela certainly inspires me and I have learned so much from her. I hope you can see why I’m absolutely thrilled about including her in my 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge.
AUGUST CHALLENGE – OPTIONS:
Create a pillow using the free-motion quilting tutorial, by Angela Walters, shared in the during the 2012 FMQ Challenge. This tutorial teaches you how to create a tile design on your quilts that can be filled in a variety of ways.
Create a pillow with FMQ using any of the designs and techniques covered in Angela’s book “Shape by Shape”.
Create a pillow with FMQ using any of the designs and techniques covered in Angela’s book In the Studio with Angela Walters.
Create a pillow with FMQ using any of the designs and techniques covered in Angela’s newest class with Craftsy: Help! How Do I Quilt It!
Create a pillow with FMQ using any of the designs and techniques covered in Angela’s “Dot to Dot Quilting”,on Craftsy.
Click here if you would like to read my review of this excellent class.
Create a pillow with FMQ using any of the designs and techniques covered in Angela’s class on Craftsy: Machine Quilting: Small Changes, Big Variety
Click here if you would like to read my review of this excellent class.
You can find Angela at:
Angela is an excellent teacher and has taught many beginner quilters through experienced quilters how to do free-motion quilting on domestic machines, as well as long-arm machines. I hope you are inspired by this challenge and want to learn from Angela by joining in on this sponsored challenge, where you can also automatically get entered to win prizes when you complete one or more of the options this month.
ENTER THIS CHALLENGE – JOIN THIS LINKY PARTY
While these are still “monthly” challenges, I’ve extended the window of the linky party thru mid-September and I will continue to do so thru all challenges released throughout the summer, allowing participants more time. Hopefully this may also give participants time to complete more than one option.
Don’t overlook that you can create more than one pillow, to claim more than one entry to any of the monthly challenges. You want to do more than one of the options, or all. Each option you complete counts as an entry. And the more you create, the more opportunities you have to learn and improve your FMQ skills, as well as win more prizes!
RULES TO ENTER THIS CHALLENGE:
1) Entries need to be completed pillows that show free-motion quilting that aligns with the options defined in this monthly challenge. Note: Other projects that you wish to share can be added to the Flickr group, but do not share them via the link tool.
2) You can enter one completed pillow for any, or all of the options. Bloggers can do so in one blog post, but to help with the entries, their post needs to show photos and clarify which options they are entering for this monthly challenge. Non-bloggers need to reflect the same as bloggers, in the comments for the photo they upload to the flickr group for this challenge. Both bloggers and non-bloggers can add one link to the linky tool, for each of the options they wish to enter. Note, to help with administration, please be sure the photo in the linky tool reflects which of the challenge options you are claiming when you enter/add the link.
Those that want to apply the challenge to projects other than pillows, or those that complete the challenge after the given month, as well as those that may wish to share other FMQ projects are encouraged to share in a Flirk group that has been created specifically for group sharing and inspiration: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2815271@N22/ To clarify, this group is open to anyone that wishes to share any FMQ project that they created.
3. In keeping with the spirit of this challenge, I hope in you encourage others to enter this challenge as well as check out all the entries to get inspired.
4. In the spirit of ~Create ~ Share ~ Inspire ~ #CreativeGoodness, those that wish to share tips and tutorials during any of these monthly challenges will be appreciated. And, as always, QuiltShopGal will try to do her best to help increase awareness of such. Collectively, we can create great fun and help others learn/improve their FMQ Skills.
While most of these linky parties are open for one month, this Linky party and other challenges released during the summer will be open thru mid-September, but I encourage you to not wait till the last minute to enter. You need to have your project completed and linked to enter to win prizes. Those that may complete this challenge at a different time, as well as those that want to share any FMQ related project, are encouraged to share photos in the Flickr group created for this challenge: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2815271@N22/
If you are not familiar with how to use a linky click here for a tutorial.
For blogger participants that are interested in posting a badge, the badge code is now on the right hand column of this blog. Thank you for posting the badge. The more quilters we have participating, the more fun and inspiration we will all have. But I need your help to spread the word and encourage others to join, or at least come look and visit all the blogs (and non-bloggers) that share their FMQ projects with us via the Monthly linky parties and the Flicker Group sharing.
SPONSORS AND PRIZES FOR THIS AUGUST CHALLENGE:
|Udderly Smooth, by RedEx
|| A gift pack of Udderly Smooth products. Product bundle shipped may not be exactly like what QuiltShopGal is showing.Estimated Retail value $25.Prize is open to participants living in US/Canada.
|| Prize #1 winner – Geri R
|CCT/Grip & Stitch quilting disks
|Clever Craft Tools/Grip & Stitch Quilting Disks
Estimated Retail value $29.95.
Prize is open to participants living in US
|Prize #2 One lucky winner will receive a pair of Clever Craft Tools/Grip & Stitch Quilting Disks.Winner: LC’ Cottage
||One lucky winner will receive three bundles of fat quarters, from the “Drawn” collection by Angela Walters, for Robert Kaufman.This prize is open for WW participants.
||winner –Cuscino agosto,opzione 2
And don’t forget when you enter this monthly challenge you are automatically entered to win prizes awarded at the end of this 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge. Many of these Grand Prizes sponsors will ship to WW participants!
If you have questions for this Challenge, please read the FAQ: http://quiltshopgal.com/faq-for-challenges-and-shows/
Winners will be selected randomly and this post will be updated accordingly, after I send an email to notify the winners.
email QuiltShopGal if you still have questions at Darlene @ quiltshopgal dot com and I will try to respond as fast as I can.
Here is a list of previous posts 2015 FMQ Challenge:
- Taking An End Of Year Break To Catch Up, Organize and Plan
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – December Challenge with Wendy Sheppard and Grand Prize Info
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – November Challenge with Sarah Vedeler
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – October Challenge with Lori Kennedy of The Inbox Jaunt
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – September Challenge with Kaleidoscope Collections, Teri Lucas, Jeanie Sumrall-Ajero and Rebecca Kemp Brent
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – August Challenge with Angela Walters
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – July Challenge with Paula Reid
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – June Challenge with Diane Gaudynski
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – May Challenge with Cindy Needham
- Machine Quilting
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – Looking Back, Current and Another Sneak Peek on the Future
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – March Challenge with Patsy Thompson
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – April Challenge with Christina Cameli
- Christina Cameli, Books, Craftsy Class: Secrets of Free-Motion Quilting, and a Sneak Peek for the 2015 FMQ Challenge
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – February Challenge with Leah Day
- Free-Motion Quilting with Paula Reid, Classes, DVDs and Sneak Peeks on the 2015 FMQ Challenge
- 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – January
- Sneak Peek – 2015 Free Motion Quilting Challenge – Feathered Heart Design by LuAnn Kessi
- Sneak Peek – 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge – Craftsy Best of 2014 Sale
- The “Infinite” Ultimate Stencil, by Cindy Needham and Sneak Peek on the 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge
For those wanting more information on the 2015 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge, you can click the menu tabs underneath the header image of this blog EVENTS > FREE-MOTION QUILTING > 2015 FREE MOTION QUILTING CHALLENGE to visit the main page for this event which will always contain current links to all the monthly challenges: