Welcome to week two of our #PrecisionPiecingQAL.
Today I want to inspire everyone to work on their precision piecing skills by highlighting some great opportunities available thru the Fat Quarter Shop, as well as share some projects that some of our participants have made with their miniature blocks made during this challenge. To clarify, you need not make anything with these miniature blocks to enter to win prizes, but for those that want to not just use this QAL as a technique learning opportunity, but to create, the possibilities are endless.
The Fat Quarter Shop shares a wealth of helpful tutorials that can help quilters, including those wanting to improve their precision piecing skills. Here are a few which I highly recommend:
- Starching, especially when doing mini pieces, can be a huge help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5469maPuuBw&t=1s
- How to work with small pieces: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1Uw7tJtbU
- Rulers for small piecing:
And, the Fat Quarter Shop also has very helpful notions:
- ByANnie stiletto – useful to hold fabric down as you sew as you get close to the needle
- Creative Grid rulers – easy to read markings and non-slip backs so you can cut precisely
- Triangle paper – get exact units, especially when working with bias edges
- Rotating mat – move the mat, not the fabric, when cutting
- Ideal Seam Guide – set yourself up for success with accurate seams
MINIATURE PROJECT SHARING
Amanda Best (PatchworkPrincess82) shared all her blocks, as well as this beautiful miniature quilt which she made, on Instagram.
Barbara (Cat Patches) shared insights on her creative blog, about the blocks she made and how she turned them into a miniature quilt, which she plans to use as a hot pad in her camper. I thought it was cute she named this project “At a Minimum”.
Still plenty of time for you to make a miniature block (or more) to enter to win prizes from our generous sponsors: The Fat Quarter Shop, The Quilt Show, and Martingale. It only takes one entry for a chance to win a prize, but of course, I hope you’ll use this QAL as an opportunity to improve your precision piecing skills. So, if you don’t feel your miniature block is perfect, make more till you get it right. There are a variety of free patterns that you can use, all listed in the kick off post for this event. But do let me know if you have any questions.
Deadline to enter is March 19th.
Here is our Linky Party for the Precision Piecing QAL.
Don’t forget this coming Saturday is Worldwide quilting day. I sure hope you find time to enjoy and quilt. Always fun to quilt with friends, even virtually.
And, The Quilt Show is also opening up all their shows to everyone to watch this weekend, as they also have plenty of episodes & more, to help you improve your piecing skills.. More info on my prior post for this event.
Here is a list of previous #PrecisionPiecingQAL posts: