Do you have a Zirkel ? If so, I’m curious what you think about it and if you’d give it an positive recommendation?
The Zirkel’s claim to fame:
- Repels & separates items to the edge in a fanned out pattern
- Weight allows it to also be used as a paper weight
I bought a Zirkel last year. I’ve been on the fence about it and wanted to share my perspective today:
What I like:
- Nice size (4″x4″)
- The way the pins spin around, separating from each other.
- Comes in a variety of colors (Black, Green, Turquoise, Pink, and Purple)
- Duals as a paperweight
What I don’t like:
- You have to drop your pins tip down to get them to land with their head of the pin placed outward (I tend to do a light toss of a pin to my pin holder, not arrange a handful of pins before I drop them on the holder).
- The magnet is so strong, it can easily pick up pins on the sides of the pin holder, as well as the bottom.
- The strength of the magnet makes me nervous about having it close to my sewing machine, or other electronics, although I’ve not heard of anyone having problems with the magnet being nearby electronics. Note: The FAQ on the Zirkel website shows that it is safe around sewing machines.
- Price vs value proposition (other magnet pin holders, even homemade magnetic pin holders have a better value proposition). Note: This is a personal choice.
My conclusion: A Zirkel magnetic pin holder may be absolutely perfect for you. It just isn’t one of my favorite finds.
You can also find Zirkel at:
As previously mentioned, if you have/have had a Zirkel, I hope you’ll share your perspective on this magnetic pin holder, including your thoughts for the value proposition.